Larson. Whiteman Air Force Base was activated following the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, becoming Sedalia Army Air Field in November 1942 to train glider pilots and paratroopers. In August 1951, the base was assigned to the Strategic Air Command, with the 340th Bombardment Wing flying the Boeing B-47 Stratojet bomber and KC-97 tanker. The base was renamed in honor of 2nd Lt. George Whiteman, U.S. Army Air Corps, who was killed in his P-40 by a Japanese Zero during the attack on Pearl Harbor. Throughout its continuous military presence since 1942, the base has always been at the forefront of national defense, especially now with the B-2 able to strike any target in the world at any time. 128 pages, 196 B&W photos, 6½"x 9¼", softcover.